October 2016 Executive Director’s Blog
CSSGA Members at the 2015 Annual Conference and the Fall 2016 Networking Event.
Hello CSSGA members and the entire material supply industry. October, the great time of year for fall colors on the trees, cool, crisp nights, and WINTER right around the corner. Sorry for ruining the moment. Here is what has been going on at CSSGA:
- Out ROCKPAC Political Action Committee has had an active fall. Thanks to those who contributed, helped interview candidates, and hand delivered checks to those we support. It was a great process as we continue to support candidates who believe in infrastructure funding and a balance regarding over-regulation of our industry. It promises to be an interesting race so make sure you vote!
- Our Fall Networking Event was also a success. This event was again held at the Colorado Mining Exchange in Colorado Springs on Sept 20. Events such as these across the state are a great way to interact with both producer and associate members, as well as elected officials.
- Regarding safety, we have submitted written comments to MSHA regarding their proposed ruling on workplace exams. While we are very supportive of new ways to keep miners safe, CSSGA, along with NSSGA believes these proposed rules are overreaching and unnecessary to improve safety. We are hopeful the industries comments make a difference in their final ruling.
- We continue to push for Infrastructure Funding across Colorado. Earlier this week, I, along with our partners in the Colorado Construction Industry Coalition (CCA, CAPA & CRMCA) met with Governor Hickenlooper to push for his support on the issue. We also continue to communicate the importance of proper Infrastructure Funding with all elected officials around the state and will update any progress during the next Legislative session.
- Additionally, the CDPHE General Permit for S&G Mines is expected to be released later this month. As we had many comments and conversations over the past 2 years on this subject, CDPHE leadership is planning to attend our Oct 21 Land Use & Environment Committee meeting and provide feedback on our written comments. All members are welcome to attend.
- Lastly, our Annual Conference is just around the corner on November 17 and 18 at the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs, CO. I hope you will participate and consider sponsoring the event as we have a great lineup of speakers and events. Click here to view details and register for this year’s event.
Thanks to everyone for your support of CSSGA. Without your active participation and help on pertinent industry issues, we would be unable to do what we do.
Todd R. Ohlheiser