March 2023 Executive Director’s Update
Hello Colorado mining industry and all CSSGA members. Here are a few updates regarding the Colorado Stone, Sand & Gravel Association, as we continue to make our way through the beginning of the year. We look forward to continued growth through strength in numbers as we approach a prosperous spring.
- Recent Events:
- Legislative Breakfasts. We have completed several Legislative Breakfasts sessions for the 2023 session. These rotate between the 3rd and 4th Wednesday each month. These are open to all existing and potential members. Contact Emma Dolan for additional info.
- Networking Event. Understanding the importance of Networking, CSSGA hosted a joint Networking Event in the Northern part of the State. This occurred on Feb 2 at the New Belgium Brewery in Fort Collins. Thanks to our producers, vendors, and suppliers of the mining industry. These interactive sessions are always a great way to engage with industry associates.
- Ski Day & Networking Event. Lastly, another networking event occurred on February 27-28 in Breckenridge with our annual CRMCA/CSSGA Ski Day. Many members were on hand to take advantage of the opportunity, and especially our sponsors include Burnco Colorado, Loveland Ready Mixed Concrete, MAPEI and Monarch Mountain Minerals and Aggregates.
- Governmental Affairs and Environmental Issues
- Legislative Committee. Members continue to meet weekly (via conf calls to encourage statewide participation) with out lobbyist, Totsy Rees to go through bills and take action where necessary. Additionally, we will hold monthly Legislative Breakfast meetings downtown by the capital before board meetings. Contact Emma Dolan for more info if you are interested in what bills we are addressing.
- Waters of the US (WOTUS). The Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment (CDPHE) has requested participation in a Task Force to discuss WOTUS and possible actions due to changes going on Nationally. We are engaged in the process and working with our water experts and legal representative on the situation. This allows us to provide input with possible changes to Colorado.
- Buy Clean Colorado bill. Additionally, regarding environmental issues, CSSGA is currently working with our concrete producer members regarding the development of EPD’s. As everyone who designs or constructs with concrete knows, EPD’s are a crucial aspect of the future of concrete. Engagement with CDOT and the changes coming from the Buy Clean Colorado bill from 2021 are being addressed for upcoming implementation.
- Upcoming Events:
- Legislative Breakfasts. The upcoming Legislative Breakfasts of 2023 are March 22 and April 19. As previously mentioned, these are available to potential and current members. We encourage attendance as your input regarding the future of Colorado laws is important.
- Networking Event. Our next Networking event is April 18 at ACE Eat-N-Serve in downtown Denver. Anyone interested in learning more about CSSGA is welcome to attend and engage with members.
Thanks again. Please reach out if we can be of assistance.
Todd R. Ohlheiser, CAE
CSSGA & CRMCA
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.