May 2023 Executive Director’s Update
Hello Colorado mining industry and all CSSGA members. Is summer upon us or is this just another false alarm? Seems like is have been a winter and spring that has hung on too long. Regardless, here are a few updates regarding the Colorado Stone, Sand & Gravel Association.
- Recent Events:
- Members of both CRMCA and CSSGA participated in a Networking Event in downtown Denver on Tuesday, April 18. Intentionally held during the Legislative session, elected officials and/or their staff attends and interacts, providing in-person contact with the lawmakers at the Capitol. Thanks to all those participating. The turnout was extremely strong!
- We recently wrapped up our Legislative Breakfast session on April 19 with Colorado State Senator Cleave Simpson as our speaker. As a farmer and rancher in Colorado, he is very knowledgeable regarding water and land rights, and was very informative. We also saw a presentation by Tyra Bartuska with United Companies, one of our great and longtime members. Tyra’s presentation included several examples of successful way to get positive messaging out to our communities regarding what we do. The successful program United Companies and CRH have developed and implemented, are a great example of how to interact with schools and local communities. We will use info like this to soon develop an program others can use in their locations. Thank you, Tyra and United Companies!
- Governmental Affairs and Environmental Issues
- Legislative Committee. Members continue to meet weekly (via conf calls to encourage statewide participation) with our lobbyist, Totsy Rees to go through bills and take action where necessary. Additionally, we hold monthly Legislative Breakfast meetings downtown by the capital before board meetings. As the Legislative Session end Monday, May 8, we have completed these sessions for 2023. I want to thank all the dedicated individuals who helped in the process. Governmental Affairs is a key aspect of what we can collectively do, and our volunteers make it happen!
- Waters of the US (WOTUS). The Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment (CDPHE) has requested the participation of CSSGA in a Task Force to discuss WOTUS and possible actions due to changes going on Nationally. We are engaged in the process and working with our water experts and legal representative on the situation. This allows us to provide input with possible changes to Colorado regulation.
- Upcoming Events:
- While a CRMCA event, many of you have taken part in our “Concrete Day at the Capitol”. This year, the event was May 3 as we interacted with elected officials and their key staff. This provides an opportunity to have first-hand conversations with lawmakers. This years estimate was the 500 people were served. A lot of hand shaking and integration on this great day. Always a worthwhile event.
- Our next Networking Event is scheduled in the West Slope on June 20. Details are being finalized now, so look for info soon.
- Also, mark your calendars to attend the Summer Outing! This year we are returning to Vail on August 18-19. Get it scheduled, to participate and interact with members and potential members.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.