November Executive Director Blog
Hello CSSGA members and the entire aggregate mining industry. The year and construction season continues to fly by. Now that Halloween has passed, I can admit that I may have slipped a few candy bars from my grandsons’ Trick or Treat bags. OK, just to be clear, it was a few dozen candies, but I only have the best interest of the children in mind…………. It is thoughtfulness like this that puts me in the running for grandfather of the year………………. At least in my opinion!
Regardless, I hope your year continues to be safe and prosperous. Here are a few updates regarding the Colorado Stone, Sand & Gravel Association.
- Governmental Affairs
- CONCRETE PAC Contributions: Thanks again for all those who participated and contributed to the Colorado ROCKPAC. Several thousand dollars were raised and distributed to the campaigns of those that support the aggregate mining industry.
- Candidate Endorsements. This eNews includes a copy of the CSSGA candidate endorsement list. It includes a list of candidates from both sides of the isle. Please feel free to utilize and distribute as you see fit. Regardless of how or who you vote for, I encourage everyone to get out and vote on or before neat Tuesday!
- Lastly, regarding Governmental Affairs, I need to mention the passing Colorado House Minority Leader Hugh McKean this past week. The House Minority Leader and Loveland Republican was widely known for his warm personality and work to try to build legislative consensus at the state Capitol. I have personally met him at his office in the Capitol and always appreciated his broad understanding of our industry issues and sincere efforts to improve the situation. His leadership and passion will be greatly missed.
- Recent Events:
- ACI. Many of the quality control and quality assurance specifications and standards for aggregates are through the American Concrete Institute (ACI). I was able to attend the national ACI convention in October to serve on various committees and industry discussions. Both JT Mesite (CRMCA) and I are engaged with several committees that change and modify the specifications and uses of construction materials. Also, the ACI Rocky Mountain Chapter was recognized at the Awards banquet for having one of the top projects from all global entries. Congratulations to the Rocky Mountain Chapter for this well deserved recognition.
- Upcoming Events:
- Safety Roundtable Our joint CSSGA/CRMCA Safety Committee will be hosting a Safety Roundtable on November 10th at the CSSGA office. Contact JT Mesite for additional information.
- Networking Event. Understanding the importance of Networking, we will host a joint Networking Event in the Northern part of the State. This will occur on Nov 17 in Ft Collins. Make plans to attend with producers, vendors, suppliers and prospective members. These interactive sessions are always a great way to engage with industry associates.
- The CSSGA/CRMCA Joint Annual Conference will take place December 6 – 7 at the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs. This years event is moved back a few weeks from previous dates, allowing our members to experience the Broadmoor while fully decorated for the Holidays. We have great speakers lined up for educational and informative sessions which are designed to help you back at your place of business. Register Today!
- Legislative Breakfasts. As we look ahead to next year and the upcoming Legislative Session, our first Legislative Breakfast of 2023 will take place on Jan 18.
- Ski Day & Networking Event. Lastly, mark your calendars for February 27-28 to participate in the upcoming CRMCA/CSSGA Ski Day. Look for more information soon.
Thanks, for your participation. Please reach out, if we can be of assistance. Now, I have some Halloween candy to deal with.
Todd R. Ohlheiser
Colorado Stone, Sand & Gravel Association
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.